Kalsubai is the highest peak of the Sahyadri mountain range in Maharashtra, India. It is also known as the ‘Everest of Maharashtra’ due to its height of 5400 ft. The mountain is a popular hiking destination and is visited by thousands of trekkers every year. It is a challenging trek, with steep climbs and treacherous paths. The trek rewards the trekkers with breathtaking views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
To make sure that your Kalsubai trek is safe and enjoyable, it is important to keep a few things in mind. In this blog, we will discuss the essential things to know and keep in mind before embarking on the Kalsubai trek.
Kalsubai is regarded as the highest peak in Maharashtra and is also known as the “Everest of Maharashtra”. It is believed to have been named after a local woman named Kalsu Bai who was known for her courage and strength. According to local legend, Kalsu Bai used to climb up the mountain every day to pray for the safety of her village and its people.
Kalsubai stands tall at 5400 feet in the Sahyadri mountain range of Maharashtra. It is located in the Akole taluka of the Ahmednagar district. The nearest town to the peak is Bari village which is about 16 km away.
How to Reach
The nearest airport to Kalsubai is the Ozar Airport in Nashik which is about 97 km away. The closest railway station is the Igatpuri station which is about 67 km away. The easiest way to reach the peak is to take a bus or taxi from Igatpuri to Bari village. From there, it is a 4 km trek to the peak.
The trek to Kalsubai starts from Bari village. The first part of the trek is a steep climb that takes about an hour and a half. The path is mostly rocky and requires some scrambling. After the first part of the trek, the path becomes easier and you will reach a small plateau with a water tank. From the plateau, you will get a spectacular view of the surrounding landscape.
After the plateau, you will trek through a dense forest and climb up a few more hills before reaching the summit. The final ascent to the peak is a steep and rocky climb which usually takes about an hour. At the summit, you will be rewarded with a mesmerizing view of the surrounding area. On a clear day, you can even spot forts such as Ratangad, Ajoba, and Harischandragad from the peak.
Ideal Time to Visit
The ideal time to visit Kalsubai is during the winter months of December to February. The weather during these months is pleasant and perfect for trekking.
Essential Things to Know Before the Trek
1. The Route: It is important to know the route of the trek before beginning the journey. The route consists of two parts: the first part is the ascent and the second part is the descent. The ascent begins from the base village, Bari, and ends at the summit of Kalsubai. The descent starts from the summit and ends at the base village. It is important to keep track of the route while trekking to ensure safety.
2. Weather: The weather in the Sahyadri range can be unpredictable. It is important to check the weather forecast before beginning the trek to ensure that the trek is safe. Heavy rains or strong winds can make the trek dangerous and it is important to be prepared for any changes in the weather.
3. Fitness: The Kalsubai trek is a challenging one and requires a certain level of fitness. It is important to ensure that you are physically fit before beginning the trek. It is also important to carry sufficient food and water to keep your energy levels up during the trek.
4. Equipment: It is important to carry the necessary equipment to make the trek safe and comfortable. The essential items to carry include a good-quality backpack, comfortable shoes, a torch, water, and snacks. It is also important to carry a first-aid kit and a mobile phone with a valid sim card.
5. Permits: The Kalsubai trek requires a permit from the forest department. It is important to obtain the permit before beginning the trek.
6. Companions: It is always advisable to trek with at least one companion. This is important to ensure safety and also helps in navigating the route and tackling any unforeseen problems.
7. Safety: Safety is of utmost importance while trekking. It is important to adhere to the safety guidelines issued by the local authorities and take all the necessary precautions while trekking.
The Kalsubai trek is a challenging one that requires a certain level of fitness and preparation. It is important to keep the essential things in mind before embarking on the trek to ensure that it is safe and enjoyable. With the right preparation, the Kalsubai trek can be an amazing and rewarding experience.
Also Read: 5 Reasons To Go On Kalsubai Trek